Love My Nurse Home Health Care Services wishes to promote very simple, yet easy ways to stay as healthy as possible. Hand washing is like a “do-it-yourself” vaccine—it involves five simple and effective steps (think Wet, Lather, Scrub, Rinse, Dry) you can take to reduce the spread of diarrheal and respiratory illness so you can stay healthy. Regular hand washing, particularly before and after certain activities, is one of the best ways to remove germs, avoid getting sick, and prevent the spread of germs to others. Hand hygiene is the first line of defense against a pandemic, the common cold, the flu, SARS, foodborne illnesses, and other infectious diseases. Adherence to proper hand hygiene is proven to prevent outbreaks in healthcare facilities, reduce transmission of antimicrobial resistant organisms, and reduce overall infection rates. Here are very simple, easy to follow instruction’s to remember when washing your hands:
- Wet your hands with clean, running water (warm or cold), turn off the tap, and apply soap.
- Lather your hands by rubbing them together with the soap. Be sure to lather the backs of your hands, between your fingers, and under your nails.
- Scrub your hands for at least 20 seconds. Need a timer? Hum the “Happy Birthday” song from beginning to end twice.
- Rinse your hands well under clean, running water.
- Dry your hands using a clean towel or air dry them.
For more information on how to prevent the spread of germs, bacteria, or infection please visit The Center for Disease Control at cdc.org or contact Love My Nurse Home Health Care Services and a homecare representative would be happy to assist you. Have a very Happy Thanksgiving from all of us at Love My Nurse!!